Information for Applicants
ARC Medical Research Policy (version 2014.2)
|ARC Medical Research Policy - Version 2014.2
PDF Format (343KB) Word Format (119KB)
Effective 10 January 2014, the ARC has updated this policy to include Linkage Infrastructure, Equipment and Facilities and the Industrial Transformation Research Program.
In January 2014, the ARC revised its definition of Medical and Dental Research. This definition aims to further clarify the eligibility of Proposals seeking ARC funding for research within this area.
Medical and Dental Research means research and/or training primarily and substantially aimed at understanding or treating a human disease or health condition.
Schemes that do not support Medical and Dental Research
A research proposal will be deemed ineligible for funding under the Discovery Projects, Discovery Indigenous, Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA), Australian Laureate Fellowships, Future Fellowships, Linkage Projects, Linkage Infrastructure, Equipment and Facilities and Centres of Excellence schemes if it is primarily and substantially aimed at understanding or treating a human disease or health condition. This includes, but is not limited to, projects that use established protocols or research tools that involve any of the following:
- late pre-clinical or early human trials of a human therapeutic agent, material or diagnostic test or device; or other interventional research involving humans;
- using material collected from human subjects for the primary purpose of studying the underlying causes, prevalence, epidemiology or mode of inheritance of a disease or human condition; or
- using established animal models or established cell lines for the purpose of studying the underlying causes, prevalence, epidemiology or mode of inheritance of a human disease or human health condition.
Under the above listed schemes, the ARC will not recommend for approval, and the Minister will not approve for funding, any Proposal that fails to satisfy the eligibility criteria set out in those Funding Rules, including if the ARC determines that a proposed project would fall within the area of Medical and Dental Research.
Schemes that may support Medical and Dental Research
Where a Proposal satisfies all other eligibility requirements set out in the relevant Funding Rules, the ARC may support projects that involve Medical and Dental Research under other ARC schemes, as specified below:
- Special Research Initiatives (SRIs), where a project has an emphasis on a commercial outcome; and
- Industrial Transformation Research Program (ITRP), where the primary aim is a commercial outcome, in addition to research and development.
|ARC Medical Research Policy – Version 2014.1
PDF Format (344KB) Word Format (119KB)
This policy was effective from 2 January 2014 to 9 January 2014. For schemes closing after this date, refer to the ARC Medical Research Policy – Version 2014.2.
|ARC Definition of Medical and Research - Version 2013.1
PDF Format (332KB) Word Format (121KB)
This definition of Medical and Dental Research is applicable to all schemes that closed for applications between 1 September 2013 and 2 January 2014. For schemes closing before 1 September 2013, please direct enquiries to NCGP[@]arc.gov.au.