Information for Applicants
Definition of Medical and Dental Research
In December 2011, the ARC revised its definition of Medical and Dental Research. This definition aims to further clarify the eligibility of Proposals seeking ARC funding for research within this area. Where relevant, the following definition will apply to new Funding Rules (for funding commencing in 2013):
Medical and Dental Research means research and/or training primarily and substantially aimed at understanding or treating a human disease or health condition.
Schemes that do not support Medical and Dental Research
A research proposal will be deemed ineligible for funding under the Discovery Projects, Discovery Indigenous, Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA), Australian Laureate Fellowships and Centres of Excellence schemes if it is primarily and substantially aimed at understanding or treating a human disease or health condition. This includes, but is not limited to, Projects that use established protocols or research tools that involve any of the following:
- late pre-clinical or early human trials of a human therapeutic agent, material or diagnostic test or device; or other interventional research involving humans;
- using material collected from human subjects for the primary purpose of studying the underlying causes, prevalence, epidemiology or mode of inheritance of a disease or human condition; or
- using established animal models or established cell lines for the purpose of studying the underlying causes, prevalence, epidemiology or mode of inheritance of a human disease or human health condition.
Under the above listed schem es, the ARC will not recommend for approval, and the Minister will not approve for funding, any Proposal that fails to satisfy the “eligibility criteria” set out in those Funding Rules, including if the ARC determines that a proposed project would fall within the area of Medical and Dental Research.
Schemes that may support Medical and Dental Research
Where a proposal satisfies all other eligibility requirements set out in the relevant Funding Rules, the ARC may support projects that involve Medical and Dental Research under other ARC schemes, as specified below:
- Special Research Initiatives (SRIs) where a project has an emphasis on a commercial outcome;
- Future Fellowships scheme; and
- Linkage Projects scheme where the primary aim of the project is a commercial outcome in addition to Research and Development and the project does not include clinical trials.