Research Evaluation Committee (REC) nominations for the Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) 2023 are now open for Research Office staff in the ARC System to Evaluate Excellence in Research (SEER). Nominations will close at 5.00pm (AEST) on 31 August 2022
For all other types of nominations or if you have any enquiries about the nomination process, please email ERARECnominations@arc.gov.au or call the ERA help desk on (02) 6287 6755
ERA Research Evaluation Committee Nominations
ERA Research Evaluation Committee Recruitment
ERA 2023 - Submission Documents
The ARC has released the following documents for the Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) 2023 submission process:
- ERA 2023 Submission Guidelines (Word 1.16 MB, PDF 1.29 MB)
- ERA-SEER 2023 Technical Specifications (Word 8.19 MB, PDF 2.49 MB)
- ERA-SEER 2023 Business Rules and Verification (Word 3.08 MB, PDF 1.19 MB)
- ERA 2023 Discipline Matrix (Excel 37.55 KB, PDF 165.04KB)
- ERA-SEER 2023 Technology Pack (Zip File 5.77 MB)
At the same time as the ARC consulted on the ERA 2023 draft Submission Guidelines, we also consulted on the treatment of preprints in ERA. Feedback during consultation was overwhelmingly supportive of not including preprints as an eligible research output type in ERA 2023.
As a consequence, preprints will not be eligible for ERA submission.
Supplementary materials for Indigenous studies
The ARC has released the following supplementary materials which are designed to be a communication tool for universities incorporating Indigenous studies in ERA 2023. Please note, the ERA 2023 Submission Documents remain the authoritative source for ERA 2023.
- Quick Guide to Assigning FoR Codes to ERA 2023 Research Outputs––45 Indigenous studies (PDF)
- How does ERA Submission work? (PDF)
- How will Indigenous studies be evaluated in ERA 2023? (PDF)
- Why are the Indigenous Studies codes important for ERA 2023? (PDF)
- Journey of Indigenous studies in Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) and the Engagement and Impact (EI) Assessment (PDF)
Submission data for ERA 2023 will be collected for the following reference periods:
1 January 2016 – 31 December 2021
1 January 2019 – 31 December 2021
Staff Census Date
As at 31 March 2022
The ARC will use the Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC) 2020 Field of Research (FoR) codes for ERA 2023.
ERA 2023 Submission Journal List
The ARC has released the ERA 2023 Submission Journal List.
There are 26,246 journals included in the list. For each journal, the list includes:
- ERA ID (unique to each Journal)
- Journal title
- Foreign title (where relevant)
- Up to three Field of Research (FoR) codes or ‘MD’ for multidisciplinary journals
Purpose of the ERA 2023 Submission Journal List
The ERA 2023 Submission Journal List was developed for the sole purpose of supporting the ERA 2023 evaluation. It was released to eligible Australian universities in July 2022 to support their submission process. It is not designed to be used outside of the ERA process, and it must not be used as a future guide to publishing or as a quality indicator for publishing outlets.
This list defines the journals that are eligible for institutions’ ERA 2023 submissions – that is, scholarly, peer reviewed journals that publish original research and were active during the ERA 2023 reference period for research outputs (1 January 2016 – 31 December 2021).
The journal list forms an integral part of the ERA evaluation process and provides components used in the ERA 2023 methodology, including:
- defining the eligible Fields of Research (FoR) codes that research outputs may be assigned during the submission phase; and
- defining the outlets from which the citation benchmarks may be derived.
For inclusion in the ERA 2023 Submission Journal List, the journal had to meet all of the following criteria:
- publish original peer reviewed research
- have one or more ISSNs
- have been published during the ERA 2023 reference period for eligible research outputs.
Fields of Research codes (FoRs)
Each journal is assigned to one or more disciplines defined by Fields of Research (FoR) codes. FoRs are defined by the Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC) 2020, which was developed by the Australian Bureau of Statistics and Statistics New Zealand. More information about the ANZSRC and the full list of FoR codes can be found here:
The FoR codes assigned to particular journals were determined as a result of university consultation and the feedback received from peak bodies and disciplinary groups.
The FoRs assigned to each journal in the ERA 2023 Submission Journal List do not reflect the order of importance. When filtering the list, please note that:
- The FoR(s) of interest to you may be located in either the FoR 1, FoR 2 or FoR 3 column.
- A journal may be assigned two-digit FoRs, four-digit FoRs, or MD (Multidisciplinary).
Two-digit and Multidisciplinary journals
Where the subject matter of a journal is sufficiently broad to cover more than three four-digit FoR codes, the journal has been assigned two-digit FoR codes in the ERA 2023 Submission Journal List (or coded ‘MD’ – Multidisciplinary – where the journal content covers more than three two-digit FoRs).
45 Indigenous studies
Journals in the ERA 2023 Submission Journal List have not been assigned 45 Indigenous Studies codes, unless the Indigenous Studies code is the only FoR applicable to a particular journal.
For journal articles which have Indigenous Studies research content that is directly described by a particular four-digit FoR code within 45 Indigenous Studies, institutions may assign a four-digit 45 Indigenous Studies code to the article. Institutions can make that assignment even if the ERA 2023 Submission Journal List does not assign that four-digit FoR code to the journal in which the article was published (see the ERA 2023 Submission Guidelines for details).
Note: The documents published on this page are owned by the Australian Research Council or the Australian Government. For use of material in these documents please see the ARC Copyright Statement.
If you require a different format, or you are having trouble accessing these documents, please send an email to email@example.com.