EI 2018: Science and Technology Panel
Professor John Grundy
Senior Deputy Dean for the Faculty of Information Technology
Professor John Grundy is Senior Deputy Dean for the Faculty of Information Technology and a Professor of Software Engineering at Monash University. Professor Grundy holds BSc (Hons), MSc and PhD degrees in Computer Science from the University of Auckland. Professor Grundy is a Fellow of Automated Software Engineering, Fellow of Engineers Australia, Certified Professional Engineer, Engineering Executive, Member of the ACM and Senior Member of the IEEE.
Professor Grundy commenced his current role at Monash University in February 2018. He works with the Dean, Faculty Manager, Deputy Deans, Associate Deans and others to help lead and manage the Faculty, including people development and management, strategic planning, operations, finances, research and teaching leadership, and engagement.
Until February 2018, Professor Grundy was Pro Vice-Chancellor ICT Innovation and Translation at Deakin University and an Alfred Deakin Professor. Professor Grundy provided strategic leadership of ICT research across the university with an emphasis on building collaborative teams across groups and disciplines, building teams to tackle larger problems and working with diverse stakeholders and partners on various externally funded projects. Prior to this, Professor Grundy was Dean of the School of Software and Electrical Engineering at Swinburne University and Director of the large research centre, Swinburne University Centre for Computing and Engineering Software Systems (SUCCESS). Before coming to Australia at the end of 2009, Professor Grundy was Head of Department for Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Auckland. From 2014-2017 Professor Grundy was also Senior Principal Researcher with Data61.
Professor Grundy’s teaching is in the area of team projects, software requirements and design, software processes, distributed systems, and software development. Professor Grundy’s research is in the area of software engineering, primarily software tools and techniques, software architecture, model-driven software engineering, visual languages, software security engineering, service-based and component-based systems and user interfaces. Professor Grundy’s work is mostly applied and he does research, R&D and consulting work with a range of companies including, among many others, Unisono, Uniting AgeWell, Mailguard, NICTA, Thales Australia, CA Labs, XSol, Orion Health, Peace Software, and Whitecloud Systems.
EI 2018 Panel Members
- Mr Ric Clark, AgriFutures Australia
- Professor Aniruddha Desai, La Trobe University
- Associate Professor Alexander Gavrilov, Curtin University
- Dr Vanessa Guthrie, Executive and Director
- Associate Professor Brett Harris, Curtin University
- Dr Erol Harvey, MiniFAB Pty Ltd
- Dr Margaret Law, Naval Group Australia Pty Ltd
- Professor Sally McArthur, Swinburne University of Technology
- Professor Alison Rodger, Macquarie University
- Ms Karen Rouse, Water Research Australia
- Professor Claude Roux, University of Technology Sydney
- Mr Roland Slee, Enterprise Sales Leader
- Professor Sandy Steacy, The University of Adelaide
- Professor Mark Wallace, Monash University