Future Fellowships 2023
Information on recently announced grant outcomes under the Future Fellowships scheme is available on the following pages:
- Selection Report: Future Fellowships 2022
- Funding Announcement Kit : Future Fellowships 2022
Future Fellowships reflects the Australian Government’s commitment to excellence in research by supporting excellent mid-career researchers to undertake high quality research in areas of national and international benefit.
Future Fellowships provide 4-year fellowships to outstanding Australian mid-career researchers. The ARC may also award the Administering Organisation up to $60,000 of non-salary funding per year to use for personnel, equipment, travel and field research costs directly related to the Future Fellow's research.
The objectives of the Future Fellowships scheme are to:
- support excellent basic and applied research and research training by outstanding mid-career researchers to be recruited and retained by universities in continuing academic positions
- support national and international research collaboration
- enhance the scale and focus of research in Australian Government priority areas
The Future Fellowships scheme encourages applications from researchers working in areas of national priority. Preference will be given to Australian researchers.
Up to 100 four-year Future Fellowships may be awarded each year, providing a salary awarded at one of 3 salary levels and up to $60,000 per annum project funding.
Project funding may be used for:
- personnel, postdoctoral research associates and research assistants, technicians and laboratory attendants
- access to research and infrastructure facilities and technical workshop services
- essential field research
- expert third party services
- equipment and consumables
- publication and dissemination of project research outputs and outreach activities
- specialised computer equipment and software
- travel costs essential to the project for up to $100,000 over the project activity period
- web hosting and development
- workshops, focus groups and conferences, and
- reasonable essential costs for researchers who are carers or who themselves require care.
One call for submission of Future Fellowships applications is made each year.