Discovery funding recognises the importance of fundamental, ‘blue sky’ research to Australia. It supports the national innovation system to build 'new' knowledge and a knowledge-based economy though:
- developing new ideas/knowledge
- creating jobs
- economic growth, and
- enhanced quality of life in Australia.
The Discovery Program delivers benefit to Australia by building Australia's research capacity by supporting:
- excellent, internationally competitive research by individuals and teams
- research training and career opportunities for the best Australian and international researchers
- international collaboration, and
- research in priority areas.
The Discovery schemes are: